Okay...I have always been enamored with Pop Up paper stuff. Way back in second grade, in Miss Bender's class I can remember having little pop up carrot noses on my construction paper snowmen. How elated I was to learn simple pop ups when I started stamping. Fast forward 19 years...now I see the awesome Sizzix die for a pop up cake...the whole cake not just a flat one that stands up. Cool! But, I don't like the $40 price tag...there's gotta be a way to make a similar cake on the Cricut. After investigating a bit, I came up with my own version. I still have some tweaking to do, but it does work. The following is a tutorial of my version of the Pop Up Cake. It's a bit long and photo intensive, but I think if you're struggling with puting one together, with the Sizzix or home made version, it should help.
I used Photoshop Elements to create my image and then imported it into the Make the Cut Program. I sized it so that it would all fit onto an 8.5x11 piece of paper.
1. The long center piece can be "eyeballed" for its score lines.
2. With my pattern, I put little tabs on the circle to line up with the score lines, It really helps get them straighter. Don't forget to trim them off afterward though!
3. Putting a scrap of paper 3/4 inches wide away from the score line helps to line up the circle edge the correct distance. (This may be different for other patterns, but it is the cake height that I decided on.)
Stick the center piece right next to the fold line.
Slide the largest layer down, folding in the sides. Let it rest on the lowest tab and fold out the middle one to lock it in place.
Next you will need to trim a 12 x 12 piece of paper into strips for around the edges. Since my cake height was 3/4 inch I made strips that were just a smidge wider than that. The bottom layer takes the whole 12 inches. I trimmed the smaller layers after I had it wrapped around the cake.
Tip: I chose to put my seems on the top of the card, so when you have it open it's opposite the recipient.
Here is a finished cake...different frosting though. I also thought it needed a doily and added that for fun.
And the front...